Sunday, October 21, 2007

Obsessing...

...is probably an understatement for what I have been doing while waiting for the Mac OS X Leopard release.

4 days, 23 hours, 20 minutes, 45 seconds....

44, 43, 42, 41...

Anyhoo, as I assume it works the same way in a lot of other households - expensive purchases have to be cleared with the iWife. Cilla has agreed that the media center needs an upgrade and we have decided that a Mac would be the ideal tool for the job.

The result being that I have been scouring the Internet for anything, any information, any rumor, any pictures, any video, guided tour or tutorial on Apple Macintosh computers and OS X Leopard. I have even been too busy doing that to even blog properly.

"Oh, it rained bugger all and there were some flowers in the garden. And here's a picture."
-me, lamest blog ever
Cilla washed my LindowsOS shirt with something that shouldn't have been washed with it. It's got this cool slogan on the back - "Choice. Feared by Microsoft, Embraced by The World." Suffice to say that it is now a colour that I don't feel comfortable wearing. So Cilla started looking for a new favourite shirt for me, and seeing as how Apple is the flavour of the moment, she started looking for Apple t-shirts. I like this one.


Of course, this isn't getting it out of my system, so I'm going to blather on about Apple stuff for a while. Feel free to surf on elsewhere or go play a game now...

I found this open letter from Steve Jobs sharing his "Thoughts on Music" regarding Digital Rights Management (DRM) on music. Basically he feels that DRM is useless and counter-productive to the industry, and notes that music companies still sell 90% of their music on CD without DRM anyway. It's a good read and shows that the man behind the most popular music player and most popular online music store in the world would prefer that they do away completely with DRM.

As a long-time PC gamer and soon to be Mac Switcher, I have been keeping a close eye on the expanding game scene on the Mac. It has never been a popular games platform with only a few of the most popular games ever making it to the Mac but Apple seem to be making an effort (or making an effort to be seen as making an effort) to bring games to OS X. Most recently a fairly high profile release of some games from Electronic Arts (EA) has proved that the relationship isn't very tight. The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TAUW) reviewed one of those releases - Madden '08 for the Mac - and were unimpressed at how it didn't work. Not surprising though as they pointed out, EA games often don't work - on any platform.

Lucky I'm not getting my Mac for games.

No comments: