Saturday, September 13, 2008

Chrome - Googles new Internet Browser

It's a bit hard to go on about Chrome.  It was launched very quietly and had it not been for a friend pointing it out to me, I probably wouldn't have discovered for a while yet.

Google have launched their own Internet browser.  My first thoughts were "Why do we need another Internet browser with so many others like Safari, Internet Explorer and my beloved Firefox?".  Like most software from Google, it's very spartan, yet usable.  Most of what's special about it is under the hood.  To the end user, it's a very basic browser with very few features.  It has more screen space than any other browser.  It's faster and more stable than any other browser.  It looks pretty good too.

Google have created a comic style help file/manual for those that are interested in the inner workings of Chrome.  It was the comic that convinced me to give it a serious try so I'm using it as my default browser for a while.  So far the only thing I miss from Firefox is the GoogleBar addon because it allowed very good access to Google Bookmarks, Gmail, Google Calendar and Google Maps but the single search/address bar seems to have an uncanny knack of knowing what I'm asking of it.

So far, so good.

No comments: